TITLE: LifeLong Links Information/Referral & Assistance Specialist
REPORTS TO: LifeLong Links Director
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide information, referral and assistance, advocacy, and options counseling to older individuals and adults with disabilities.
- Be an initial contact for calls or walk-in clients coming to LifeLong Links Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC).
- Assess client’s limitations and capacities to determine which community resources, services, supports, and/or education will best meet the client’s expressed needs.
- Work with LifeLong Links staff to assist individuals in securing benefits through programs including: Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, Food Stamps, rent reimbursement, property tax deferment, etc.
- Answer general questions related to the Case Management Program, Elder Abuse Prevention and Advocacy Program (EAPA), and the Family Caregiver Program and facilitate referrals to these programs.
- Promote individual advocacy to secure rights or benefits with providers while empowering older adults to advocate on their own behalf.
- Assist in administering benefits through material aid funds.
- Act as a back-up to Family Caregiver staff.
- Perform such duties or special projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Contribute to the overall agency team effort.
REQUIREMENTS, SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES FOR POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in a human service-related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of community support services, providers, and programs.
- Experience working with older adults and/or adults with disabilities.
- AIRS-A/D certification and Options Counseling Training prescribed by the Iowa Department on Aging within 6 months of hire.
- Strong communication skills (especially phone skills) appropriate for working with older individuals, caregivers, adults with disabilities, and community service providers.
- Ability to accurately input information into computer system while conversing with clients.
- Ability to multitask while working within a team environment.
FREEDOM TO ACT AND PROBLEM-SOLVING REQUIRED:
Ability to handle multiple programs, accept responsibility, work interdependently with the LLL I&A Specialists, Family Caregiver Specialists, case manager, EAPA Specialist, and other agency staff, determine priorities and schedule time effectively.
Starting Salary $37,500 to $45,000 depending upon experience. Full benefits package.
Please Contract: Margaret DeSio at email@example.com or (515) 633-9520 if interested by May 14, 2021.